Aims: We will understand what is an image information considering a definition
of information content, strage transmission efficiently and evaluating correctly.
Especially, we will describe not only about statistics of image but also about high order
sensation of human system and an advanced processing system. In addition, we will
overview a color engineering and image systhesis of CG.
Contents: Fundamentals of Image Information, Image Coding, Color Engineering,
1. Bases of Image Information (Image Communication model, feature of
Image, Image Coding).
2. Bases of Image Information (Image Type, Sampling, Feature and
3. Bases of Image Information (Visual Perception, Quantity of Percepted
Information and image Data).
4. Television Standards (NTSC, Signal Spectrum, EDTV).
5. Television Standards (HDTV, MUSE).
6. Fundamentals of Image Coding (overview 1) (Statistical property of image
data, Redundancy, Basic method of Image Coding (DPCM, OTC,
Hadamard Transform, COS transform, K-L transform)).
7. Fundamentals of Image Coding (overview 2) (Basic method of Image
Coding (Legendre transform, Wavelet transform, JPEG, MPEG, VQ),
Model based Coding).
8. Midle term examination.
9. Fundmental of Image Coding (Random Field for Image data, Optimum
Coeficients of Estimation for DPCM, Rate Distortion theory).
10. Fundamentals of Image Coding (Picture quality evaluation).
11. Color Engineering (Bases, Color perception).
12. Color Engineering (Uniform Color Space, Munsell Color Space, Color
13. Image Synthesis (CG, Rendering, Shading, Mapping).
14. Image Synthesis (Modeling, Reality, Photo-real CG, non-Photo-real CG).